MERN Stack comprises four technologies namely: MongoDB, Express, React, and Node.js. It is designed to make the development process smoother and easier.
Each of these 4 powerful technologies provides an end-to-end framework for the developers to work in and each of these technologies play a big part in the development of web applications.
MERN stack components:
MERN stands for MongoDB, Express, React, Node, after the four key technologies that make up the stack.
- MongoDB – document database.
- Express(.js) – Node.js web framework.
Let’s have a sneak peek into the MERN stack components.
MongoDB: A cross-platform document database
MongoDB is flexible and allows its users to create schema, databases, tables, etc.
Documents that are identifiable by a primary key make up the basic unit of MongoDB.
Once MongoDB is installed, users can make use of Mongo shell as well.
Why use MongoDB?
- What is virtuIt makes all the way easy to index documents
- Ensure scalability as large data can be handled easily by dividing it into several machines
- Schema Less as any type of data stored in a separate document
- It’s really simple to set up a MongoDB environment
- It supports a flexible document model which is fast to create.
Express: A back-end web application framework
Express is a web application framework for Node.js.
The framework simplifies the task of writing server code.
For developers, there is no need to repeat the same code, as did earlier with the Node.js HTTP module.
The express framework is designed to build robust and scalable web applications and APIs.
Why use Express?
- Asynchronous and Single-threaded.
- It is fast and scalable
- It helps with code reusability using a built-in router.
- Robust API
React: Library for building User interfaces
React was developed by Facebook developers. The library is used for developing views in HTML.
Instead of using templates to automate the creation of repetitive HTML elements, React uses a comprehensive programming language to built repetitive DOM elements.
With this, we can run the same code on both the server and the browser.
It completely differentiates MERN from MEAN.
Why use React?
- ReactJS supports Components that are basic building blocks of UI where each component has a logic. The components also support code reusability and make the web application easier to develop and understand.
- Features like Virtual DOM, JSX, and Components make it much faster than the other frameworks.
It works great when enclosed with HTML page instead of using its module.
Why use Node.JS?
- It has a single-threaded model
- It is highly scalable
Advantage of MERN stack:
MERN is the most popular stack after MEAN. Here are some of the advantages of using the MERN stack:
- It facilitates the MVC (Model View Controller) architecture that makes the web development process work smoothly
- MERN framework facilitates open-source support, easily accessible and lower learning time, and development cost
- The framework comes with a pre-built extensive suite of testing tools
- The four technologies provide smooth integration with cloud platforms
- The four robust technologies are feasible enough to develop a full-fledged software