Remote Access Trojans are programs that provide the capability to allow covert surveillance or the ability to gain unauthorized access to a victim’s PC. Remote Access Trojans often mimic similar behaviors of keylogger applications by allowing the automated collection of keystrokes, usernames, passwords, screenshots, browser history, emails, chat lots, etc. Remote Access Trojans differ from keyloggers in that they provide the capability for an attacker to gain unauthorized remote access to the victim machine via specially configured communication protocols which are set up upon initial infection of the victim computer. This backdoor into the victim machine can allow an attacker unfettered access, including the ability to monitor user behavior, change computer settings, browse and copy files, utilize the bandwidth (Internet connection) for possible criminal activity, access connected systems, and more. After knowing about How its works and how to protect from RAT the next step is to select the tools and supporting components you need to accomplish your remote management tasks.
REMOTE ADMINISTRATION PROGRAMS (TOOL):
It is used to remotely connect and manage single or multiple computers with a variety of tools, such as:
- Screen/camera capture or control
- File management (download/upload/execute/etc.)
- Computer control (power off/on/log off)
- Registry management (query/add/delete/modify)
- Shell control (usually piped from command prompt)
We have two kinds of connection:
- Direct ConnectionA direct-connect RAT is a simple set-up where the client connects to single or multiple servers directly. Stable servers are multithreaded, allowing for multiple clients to be connected, along with increased reliability.
- Reverse ConnectionA few advantages of a reverse-connection:
- No problems with routers blocking incoming data because the connection is started outgoing for a server
- Allows for mass-updating of servers by broadcasting commands, because many servers can easily connect to a single client
“I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We’ve created life in our own image.” – Stephen Hawking
CHARACTERISTICS OF RATS:
As RATs can essentially capture every screen and keystroke, intruders may obtain account information, passwords, and sensitive computing system data. RATs can also spawn arbitrary numbers of processes on specific TCP/UDP ports, impersonate victims, redirect traffic for specific services to other systems, and launch distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
RAT Trojans can generally do the following:
- Download, upload, delete and rename Files.
- Format drives
- Open CD-ROM tray
- Drop viruses and worms
- Log keystrokes
- Hack passwords, credit card no.
- View, kill, and start tasks in task Manager.
- Print text, Play sounds
- Randomly move and click mouse
Some RAT Trojans are pranks that are most likely being controlled by a friend. RATS are generally not harmful, and won’t log keystrokes or hack. They usually do whimsical things like flip the screen upside-down, open the CD-ROM tray, and swap mouse buttons.
Activities that can be done using Remote Administration Tool:
Hackers use RAT only for illegal activities, such as the ones given below:
- Hackers can create, delete, rename, copy, or edit any file.
- The attacker can also use RAT for executing various commands, changing system settings, running, and controlling applications on the victim’s PC.M
- Hackers can install optional software or worms.
- Hackers can control hardware, shutdown, or restart a computer without asking the user’s permission.
- Hackers can steal passwords, login names, personal documents, and other credentials.
- Hackers can capture screenshots and track a user’s activity.
- Hackers can get access to the Camera of the victim’s system.
Top Remote Administration Tools:
- DarkComet:Dark Comet is the best RAT and a free RAT as well as the old one as well. This tool has an astounding graphical UI that causes the client to control the system. It is best used on windows and can control any windows device very smoothly.
- BlackShades:This is the super RAT shockingly better than DarkComet and it is steady, reliable, and easy to use It’s likewise the speediest RAT at any point made on .net and helps Windows.
- JSpy:Jspy Rat is the same as Pussy RAT as created by the same person, with some improvements and in 2013 this was free. It is a decent RAT and one of the safest RAT.
- NJRat:It is an amazing RAT to hack into different systems. It gives us a large number of choices that make it different from others. It is very simple to use. It has malware to use the camera, microphones getting and deleting files and many more.
- Plasma Remote Administration Tools:Plasma RAT is a capable remote administration tool(RAT) which is a customer service application. It’s not just a conventional standard remote administrator tool, it is intended to control a mass measure of PCs without a moment’s delay.
Using remote administrator tools for remote administration of computers running can greatly reduce the administrative overhead. Administrators can access the servers from anywhere, be it inside the computer room. They can start time-consuming administrative jobs, disconnect, a later time to check the progress. Server application and operating system upgrades can be completed remotely, as well as tasks that are not usually possible unless the administrator is sitting at the console.
“Privacy – like eating and breathing – is one of life’s basic requirements.” — Katherine Neville